The history of Dartington Hall is well documented in many sources and much more information can be found on the web. In summary, Dartington Hall was built in 1388 for John Holand; half brother to Richard II. Ownership by the Holand family was somewhat short lived after the premature beheading of John Holand and stability in the Halls ownership was not to be found until 1559 when it was bought by the Champenowne family. This family lived in the Hall for over 300 years, firmly establishing the Champenowne name in local history.
The next big change came in 1925 when Dartington Hall was purchased by Leonard and Dorothy Elmhirst. The work of the Elmhirsts brought the Hall firmly back into the local scene with their plans to rejuvenate the estate. Their planned rejuvenation led to the setting up of a textile mill and sawmill, planting of orchards, establishing woodlands and setting up of forestry and agriculture.
These programmes led to an effective rural regeneration and Dartington became a model for the advocating of sustainable rural industry, providing employment for local people.
The Dartington Hall Trust which grew out of these regeneration programmes is, today, a charitable status with works in sustainable development and the arts. The famous Dartington Glass is a result of the Trusts work.